PROF. LUIS FERNÁNDEZ-VEGA SANZ
- Graduate in Medicine and Surgery, Madrid Autonomous University (1975).
- Specialist in Ophthalmology (Madrid, 1977).
- Medical Doctor and Surgeon (1979), winner of Special Graduation Award.
- Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Oviedo (1983).
- He completed his training with different periods abroad, and working with Dr. Ramón Castroviejo.
- Head of Ophthalmology Service at the Asturias Central University Hospital from 1983.
- He is the author of over 200 publications in the field, various book chapters, as well as numerous papers at national and international conferences, having delivered them at a large number of Spanish universities.
- He has been awarded numerous prizes in the field, amongst which may be highlighted the Arruga and Castroviejo awards.
- He is a member of the most important Ophthalmological Associations in the world, having been President of the Spanish Association for Refractive Implant Eye Surgery (SECOIR) from 1996 to 2000, now being its Honorary President.
- In October 2005, he was named a Full Member by the Spanish Medical and Surgery Academy.
- From 2011 to 2015, he was President of the Spanish Ophthalmology Society.
- Medical Director of the Fernández-Vega Ophthalmologic Institute.
- President of the Ophthalmology National Commission (2013 – present).
- Member of the Emeritus Free College since 2015.