No Collegiate: 333307500
Links of interest
Dr. Álvaro Fernández-Vega Sanz
- Graduate in Medicine and Surgery, Madrid Autonomous University (1982).
- He was doctor at the Alfonso X el Sabio CMU University in Madrid.
- Specialist in Ophthalmology (MIR System) at the San Carlos Hospital Clinic (1986), from 1982 to 1986 he also completed an internship in MIR there under the supervision of García Sánchez. After completing his internship, he remained at San Carlos Hospital Clinic for a training period in the Retina Department with Dr. Martín Valverde.
- Super specialisation in Retina and Vitreous at the San Juan Medical Centre in Puerto Rico and at the Eye Foundation, Kansas City, USA (1988-1989).
- He undertook the super specialisation in Retina and Vitreous under the supervision of Dr. José Berrocal at the San Juan Medical Centre in Puerto Rico in 1988, undertaking training periods at the Bascom Palmer Clinic Retina Department in Miami, the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia and the Eye Center of Duke University in Durham during this period.
- Later he undertook another super specialisation in Retina and Vitreous at the Eye Foundation and Truman Medical Center at the University of Missouri in Kansas City under the supervision of Dr. Félix Sabates, as well as training periods in the Manhattan Eye and Ear Retina Department, Massachusetts Eye and Ear, Retina Foundation and Retina Associates of Boston and Dr. Steve Charles´ Clinic in Memphis.
- He is a member of the most important national and international Ophthalmological Societies, such as the Spanish Ophthalmological Society, the Schepens International Society of Retina or the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- He leads an intense academic life with multiple papers at national and international conferences in the retina field, as well as numerous publications in journals and books in the same discipline.
- He co-ordinates and is the supervisor of one of the most prestigious medical and surgical retina courses in Spain, sponsored by the IOFV and which he delivers every four years.
- He is currently Director of the Retina and Vitreous Unit at the Fernández-Vega Ophthalmologic Institute, and is also active in the Surface and Eye Inflammation, Electrophysiology and Special Tests, Rehabilitation and Low Vision Units, as well as the Research Unit.